Dating can be time-consuming. So it’s natural that single parents would want to make it as simple as possible. Luckily for you, if you live in Manchester, you’re living in one of the most consistently ranked best cities to live in the UK! So, if Manchester isn’t all that bad, why can it feel like there’s no time in the day to have fun?!
Right now (according to the census), there are over 35,000 single parent families living in Manchester. At Even, we know that each family has their own unique situation. We are committed to finding ways for those parents to enjoy a little time to themselves – whether they’re dating or just want to get to know some single parents near them.
What support can I get as a single parent in Manchester?
We know that dating is important, but we know that the kids come first. If you’re feeling that you could use a little extra help or some advice on how to be the best single parent you can be in Manchester, we’ve got some sites you might want to check out.
SPAT Manchester: SPAT stands for Single Parents Alone Together, and they are a community group based in Manchester that’s here for parents looking for other single parents to be friends with in the local area. They are here for support, sharing experiences, and sometimes they do meet-ups – kids invited too.
Care For The Family: With their Take A Break action holidays, Manchester City Council works with this charity to help single parent families go on different types of adventures. With a focus on the kids, you can have a little time to yourself whilst they get busy raft-building and climbing.
Gingerbread: One of the most comprehensive single parent-focused charities in the UK, Gingerbread has everything from advice to jobs for single parents who are looking to fit in work around their kids’ schedule. Their online forums are great for any questions you might have about single parenting in the UK nowadays.
Our best Manchester dating ideas
Some people believe that you can meet your loved one meandering around the Arndale Centre, but we think it’s much more likely you’d meet someone you really like on Even – without having to worry about what the kids will say. If you’re not up for spending hours walking around shopping centres, here’s some of our best Manchester date ideas – just for single parents:
Food and drinks
- Play some games Twenty Two & Dead Eye Darts: Take a night out playing ping pong and darts, with great music and a couple of drinks, you’ll be laughing at each other for however long you’re out – just make sure you book the babysitter quick!
- Get afternoon tea at Cocoa Cabana: Love chocolate and afternoon tea? Cocoa Cabana is for you. Better for people who might have to do a lunch date instead of a late evening, afternoon tea is a great first date idea for people whose kids are in school and aren’t ready to leave them in the evening.
- Go down ‘Tapas Alley’: Sharing is caring after all! Going for tapas makes for easy conversation, just make sure you let your date know if you have any dietary preferences first, so you can pick a restaurant that has some dishes you’ll be able to enjoy.
Events and cultural dates in Manchester
- Visit the People’s History Museum: If you’re interested in history, this is the museum for you. With a focus on the stories of ideas worth fighting for, it’s likely that you’ll see something in this museum that will spark conversation – but be wary! Politics might not be a first date topic.
- Catch a show at the Deaf Institute: One of the most popular music venues in the country, why not share your love of music with someone you want to go on a date with? If you’re looking for a cheaper date, seeing a gig means you get to see a musician you really like and go dating at the same time – all for the price of one babysitter.
- Stroll around Tegg’s Nose Country Park: This area has sights dating back to the Stone Age, so it’s a wonderful place to take a walk and learn a little history. The best part of walking dates is that you can go whenever as long as it’s light out, so you can pick whatever time best suits you to go out, no matter what the kids are up to.
Use the Even app to find single parents near you
Signing up to Even means that you can meet other single parents near you. If you’re a bit rusty using dating apps, don’t worry, we have plenty of advice and signing up is free.
Just upload some pictures, write a little about yourself and have a look around. Using dating apps doesn’t have to be scary and there’s no pressure to find someone you’re going to spend forever with, parents deserve to have a little fun too – so going on dates can be your you time!
Join Even and meet someone who really gets you
Here at Even, we are all about making sure single parents take some time for themselves and if they want to start dating again, we’re here to help! Whatever kind of family you have, from Asian single parents to LGBTQ+ parents, we want to make sure you are comfortable looking for someone who really suits you. Don’t worry, you’ll be taking a stroll down Canal Street some time soon!